Artwork: Stephanie Haller
By Bianca Alexander
Summer is all about enjoying the warm weather, hanging loose and having good old fashioned fun until the sun sets. This season, take advantage of the long days by breaking from your go-to wardrobe formula. Let your hair down with these funky pieces that will keep you in style from the streets to the beach. Just add sunshine. Surfboard optional.
1. Follow the Sun. Vitamin D is good for your health, so bare all to the elements in this reversible Patagonia triangle top and bottom made from recycled nylon/spandex. Protect your skin from sun damage without the dangerous chemicals in most suncare products with toxin-free, paraben-free and alcohol-free Kinesys SPF 30 sunblock. Water and sweat-resistant, unlike most natural suncare products, this performance sunscreen sprays on perfectly clear and dries fast. Then, shield your eyes while keeping your look cool in these blue flip-up vintage shades from Smash Vintage.
2. Little White Dress, Will Travel. Everyone needs a LWD to dress up or down elegantly according to the occasion, but a dynamic print makes an even bolder statement. Whether worn over your bikini as a cover up or paired with leggings on breezy nights, try this flowing crepe de chine Mari Dress from fair trade brand Auralis, made in NYC from 100% silk with a cobalt-blue vegetable-dyed bicycle pattern, reminiscent of the designer’s indigenous Puerto Rican roots.
3. Stay Grounded. Whether walking the boardwalk, the avenue or holding it down at the office, stay dreamy in these very walkable Spartali floral platform booties with a side zip from vegan design team Arden Wohl x Cri de Coeur. With a punch of color and a peek-a-boo slit above its transparent lucite heel, this shoe may very well be your most beloved pair of shoes this season. At the beach or in the garden, make orange the new black in comfy Flojos flip flops, made in the USA with built-in arch supports.
4. Cover Me Bad. Protect yourself from the heat in good conscience with this brightly bejeweled Panama Hat from UK based Pachacuti. This stylish brand was the first company in the world to be certified by the World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO) for having an entirely fair trade supply chain, and designer Carry Somers keeps the momentum going beyond her designs as the mastermind behind the global Fashion Revolution movement. Arrive on time for your vacation or play date with this unforgettable watch from Mistura in a matching shade, made with an eco-friendly wooden face and vegetable tanned wristband.
5. Hang Ten. Paddle out to the perfect wave or learn to surf on this abstract art inspired surfboard from Solid made from sustainable materials like recycled polyurethane blank scraps, non-virgin and bio plastics, low VOC Epoxy, and hand foiled bamboo fins and fiberglass. When you’re finished hanging ‘ten in the water, swim back to shore and dry off on this plush striped beach towel from Kassatex made from soft, quick drying 100% organic combed cotton.
Now get out there and have some fun!