I love fall. The cooler weather and crispness of the air brings a much brighter outlook to my day. Yet, I know not everyone feels this way and the abrupt change of seasons can often cast a shadow over our moods. But oftentimes a sour mood has more to do with our inner voice than our outer conditions. It is the stuff we’re doing as much as we’re not doing.
We are especially inspired by Gretchen Rubin’s new book, Happier At Home, which outlines her year of creating and maintaining more joy in her home.
Here’s a few little reminders on finding happiness, especially when it seems a bit hidden…
- Ask for help and delegate. I’m a sucker for trying to do it all and then getting a bit peeved when those around me aren’t helping. But really, I didn’t ask for help and unless they can read my mind, they may not know what it is I need. My number one practice for the fall is learning to ask for help and delegating projects. Just because I can do something doesn’t mean I should, especially when it means I have to sacrifice something else in my life—like my sanity.
- Create a thankful list. If you’ve never created a list of things to be thankful for, it can be eye-opening. We recommend working on your list at night and writing down everything from the everyday to the extraordinary. At my home we practice something similar with our 4-year-old daughter. Each night she shares with us her Roses (the highlights of her day) and her Thorns.
- Brighten the day. If your house is a swath of gray and beige, its time to add in some hefty color. Try chartreuse, mandarin orange or mustard yellow. Add some aqua or turquoise. Buy fake flowers. Anything that makes you smile — and not cringe — as you pass by.
- Sleep. We talk about sleep a lot on HL&S, but the reasons are clear. If you’re not sleeping well, your health and your moods suffer. Tired doesn’t tend to be synonymous with Happy.
- Right Now. As any parent will attest, days can be long, but years are short. The right now is what matters. As you sit here reading this, are you multitasking? Could you be slowing down? Pausing? How can you experience life in the present?
Healing Lifestyles & Spas content focuses on integrating healing remedies, alternative medicine, natural living, spa wisdom, and nature into our lives, providing tools and inspiration to lead a more healthy and healing lifestyle. We all need to slow down, press pause, and nurture this absolute need to give back to ourselves. Remember to Live Mindfully, Eat Joyfully, Travel Consciously. Sign up and get your your daily dose of spa-living in an easy, bite-size tip, right in your inbox! We provide a wide range of experiences to enrich your mind, stretch your imagination, feed your psyche, move your body, and give you spa delights!