Valentine‚Äôs Day is a perfect opportunity to show love for your honey‚Äîand the planet. Here are 10 eco-friendly gift ideas, as well as fun ways to make this Valentine‚Äôs Day both sexy and sustainable.
1) Order organic flowers. Flowers are a great way to show your loved one you care, but unfortunately, the cut flower industry is notorious for polluting the planet with harmful pesticides. This year, instead of buying just any old roses, order pesticide-free organic flowers online from www.OrganicStyle.com. They are more beautiful and smell better than traditional cut flowers, and are delivered in an eco-friendly package made from recycled materials. And to celebrate Black History Month, you can even order the Rosa Parks Freedom Rose bouquet, where 10% of the proceeds of your purchase will be donated to The Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute for Self Development.
2) Surprise your sweetie with eco-friendly lingerie. Every woman loves lingerie, but textiles like traditional cotton that are used to make most clothing damage our bodies and the planet. Instead, surprise your sweetie with soft and sexy lingerie made from sustainable materials like soy, bamboo, silk and organic cotton from www.EcoBoudoir.com and www.AmericanApparel.com.
3) Give sweet scents in recycled bottles. With Bond No. 9‚Äôs artisanal perfume, you can indulge your sweetie with irresistible scents and still reduce, reuse and recycle. Exchange any old perfume bottle for recycling at any Bond No. 9 or Saks Fifth Avenue store, and get a refillable pocket spray free with any purchase as a thank you.
4) Say ‚ÄúI Love You‚Äù with sustainable jewelry. Diamonds are a girl’s best friend, but only if they’re mined responsibly. Purchase conflict-free diamonds from companies like www.BrilliantEarth.com, or the ‚ÄúGreen Bracelet‚Äù from Russell & Kimora Lee Simmons new jewelry line, Simmons Jewelry, and you‚Äôll be able to give back to African communities afflicted by the diamond trade. If gold‚Äôs your thing, go to www.greenkarat.com to express your originality by creating a custom design made from recycled gold (you can even contribute your own unused gold jewelry). And if your sweetheart is more of an earthy type, help her stay natural with ethnic jewelry from www.Verlu.com, which produces fashion-forward necklaces, cuffs and earrings made from sustainably harvested wood.
5) Enjoy organic champagne and chocolates. Organic bon-bons are better for the planet, and will also be better for your loved one’s health. Toast the day with biodynamic USDA certified wine and chocolates which are pesticide, antibiotic, and hormone free from www.OrganicStyle.com.
6) Take a romantic green getaway. Fossil fuels emitted from air and car travel are the largest contributors to global warming, so traveling green will help you romance your sweetheart without hurting the planet. How about a green ski or snowboarding getaway to Northstar-at-Tahoe (www.northstarattahoe.com), or a biodynamic romp through wine country with a stay at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn‚Äôs Four Star green hotel and spa (www.Fairmont.com). And wherever you go, don‚Äôt forget to minimize your eco-footprint by offsetting the carbon emitted from the plane, train, or automobile that got you there at www.Carbonfund.org.
7) Send a card that keeps on giving. Do your part to save trees by sending an e-card, or buying a card made from recycled paper at www.GreenFieldPaper.com. And if saving trees isn‚Äôt enough, each card comes embedded with an added bonus: wildflower seeds, which will produce beautiful flowers if you water and plant the card.
8) Stay at home between the sheets. Treat your body and the planet by staying at home and cuddling up with your loved one under colorful, sustainable organic cotton sheets from www.GreenNest.com
9) Give safe sex a whole new meaning. Toxic chemicals can pollute our rivers and streams, not to mention take the fun out of getting intimate, so romance your loved one safely with an all-natural, water-based personal lubricant like Yes Lubricant (www.yesyesyes.org). It‚Äôs free of parabens and skin-irritating petrochemicals, and is certified organic.
10) Wine and dine at a local, vegetarian Restaurant. Instead of going out for salmon, veal or filet mignon this Valentine‚Äôs Day, pass on meat and save the earth‚Äôs precious land and natural resources that are unnecessarily wasted in the animal farming industry. Not sure where to start? You can find a local, delicious vegetarian restaurant in over 7,000 locations around the globe at www.HappyCow.com.
To check out our Sexy and Sustainable Valentine‚Äôs Day episode, or for more tips on living sustainably year round, watch www.ConsciousLivingTV.com.”