On Saturday October 3 from 11am-6pm, more than 15,000 attendees will celebrate the best of all things vegan and vegetarian in and around the nation’s capital.
This year’s DC VegFest promises to be the biggest and best yet with more food vendors, a larger Barking Lot for dogs, a bigger Kid’s Area with a moon bounce, and inspiring, informative speakers including Gene Baur, from Farm Sanctuary, the award-winning chefs from Vedge restaurant, and vegan ultra athlete Rich Roll. The year’s emcee is the award-winning television journalist and bestselling author Jane Velez-Mitchell.
“This year’s DC VegFest will be an action-packed plant-based celebration with even more delicious food vendors, free samples, dynamic speakers, an interactive kids’ area, live music and more,” says Erica Meier, Executive Director of Compassion Over Killing. “Bring the whole family — including your furry four-legged friends — for a fun and festive day!”
During this day-long celebration, more than 125 exhibitors, partners, and sponsors will showcase a wide range of products, services and resources to help Washingtonians discover the joys and benefits of plant-based eating — for our health, the planet and animals.
VegFest will take place at Yards Park, corner of N & 1st Sts SE, Washington, DC.
VegFest attendees will have the opportunity to:
- Sample free delicious vegan cuisine
- Learn from expert chefs hosting cooking demos
- Meet adoptable animals from the Washington Humane Society
- Hear from nationally renowned speakers (ASL interpreters will be on the main stage)
- Enjoy live performances from local musicians
- Participate in the Kids’ Activity Area featuring our popular “Ask a Vegan Family” panel and kid-friendly cooking demonstrations
- Relax in the beer garden — sponsored by Busboys & Poets
Organized by Compassion Over Killing, the DC VegFest highlights the many benefits and flavors of vegetarian eating and shows how easy and delicious it is to choose healthier, more sustainable, and kinder foods. Attendees will enjoy free food samples along with nearly two dozen food vendors including Vegan Treats, Woodlands Vegan Bistro, Equinox Restaurant, Amsterdam Falafelshop, Vegetable Garden, Sticky Fingers and Fare Well.
- Gene Baur — Co-founder of Farm Sanctuary and author of the new “Living the Farm Sanctuary Life”
- Chefs Richard Landau and Kate Jacoby — co-owners of Vedge Restaurant
- DJ Cavem and Alkemia Earth—Culinary Concert performers and Founders of Eco-Hip Hop
- Rich Roll — World-renowned plant-based ultra-athlete and author
- Dr. Aysha Akhtar — Author, neurologist, and public health specialist
Attendees can peruse exhibitor booths from such animal-friendly organizations and companies as Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps, Roots Market, Way Better Snacks, The Fanciful Fox, Kate Bakes, the Humane Society of the United States, Relay Foods, PlantFusion, Upton’s Naturals, Undone Chocolate, and PETA.
The event is free and open to everyone, and the first 1,000 attendees get a free 2015 commemorative DC VegFest tote bag loaded with veg-friendly products, coupons and more!
Watch more about Compassion Over Killing and DC VegFest here. Use #DCVegFest15 to follow on social media.
Editorial Note: Conscious Living is a media sponsor for this year’s DC VegFest and will have a booth at the event