POTATO-CRUSTED MUSHROOM QUICHE RECIPE
I love quiche but often struggle with the rich, fatty crusts that go with them. This quiche has a shredded potato crust that is light and delicious. It’s perfect for breakfast or dinner!
Yields: 4 servings Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
2 tablespoons flax meal or chia seeds
6 tablespoons water
2 or 3 large russet potatoes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
½ teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 10-inch pie pan with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flax meal and water. Set aside to thicken.
3. Peel and shred the potatoes with the shredding blade of a food processor or by hand with a box grater. Rinse the potato shreds and pat dry. Transfer to a bowl and add the flax mixture, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix thoroughly.
4. Pat the shredded potatoes into the prepared pie pan, making sure to cover the entire bottom and sides. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes begin to brown. Set aside to cool.
5. In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onion, garlic, mushrooms, parsley, thyme, and rosemary in a small amount of water until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat.
6. Combine the tofu, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the sautéed vegetables. Mix thoroughly.
7. Spread the tofu-mushroom mixture over the potato crust in the pie pan. Top with the tomato slices.
8. Bake for 40 minutes, or until firmly set. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes, then cut into wedges to serve.