I love to add spices to this particular recipe because it makes it even more exciting and delicious.
Yields: 10 to 12 muffins
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
½ cup oats
5 small dates, pitted
1/4 cup walnuts
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
½ cup pure maple syrup
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
21/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1 cup finely chopped fresh rhubarb
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line the cups of a muffin tin with silicone muffin molds (or use a nonstick muffin tin).
2. In a food processor, pulse the oats, dates, walnuts, and cinnamon until you have a crumbly texture. Do not overprocess. Set this aside for the streusel
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, maple syrup, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla.
4. In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, rhubarb, and strawberries until well mixed. Make sure the fruit is thoroughly coated with the flour mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient s and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
5. Distribute the batter evenly among the muffin tin cups and top each with the streusel mixture. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.