Ready to take a protein-packed meatless recipe for a spin? Try this Shiitake Pomegranate Spelt Salad, from Karen of Sprouts in the Hood. It packs a whopping 21 grams of protein, including 6 grams from the spelt. Mushrooms lend 2 grams of protein per serving, plus their signature umami flavor, so you won’t even be missing the meat!
- 1 cup mung beans
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups spelt
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 1 cup pistachios, shelled and chopped
- white truffle oil, to taste
- olive oil, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
Go raw! Grow the sprouts on the mung beans (optional):
- Soak the mung beans overnight. Rinse, then drain.
- Soak again and repeat, draining twice per day for 2-3 days. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To complete the shiitake pomegranate spelt salad:
- Place the spelt in 3 cups of water in a large pot over medium-high heat. Boil for 30 minutes, or until the spelt is cooked through. Drain.
- Prepare a sauté pan with a light coating of olive oil or nonstick cooking spray. Place the sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the sliced shiitake mushrooms and sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until the shiitakes become tender.
- Mix the cooked spelt, pomegranate seeds, sprouted mung beans and sauteed shiitake mushrooms together in a large bowl.
- Serve the salad in 4 equal portions on salad plates. Top each serving with chopped pistachios. Lightly dress with oil to preference. Toss, season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
About The Author
The Green Divas share low-stress ways to live a deeper shade of green through a weekly radio show, podcasts, videos and blog posts. Working with talented partners and credible sources like myEARTH360 the Green Divas produce content on a variety of topics relating to a healthy green lifestyle. Visit The Green Divas website to learn more, and check out The Green Divas on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter too!