Recipe courtesy of Veggies Don’t Bite
Servings: Makes sides for 4
- 1 large sweet onion
- 4 cups almond milk
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons almond meal
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup ground unsalted raw pepitas
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- dash of ground black pepper to taste
- Mix almond milk and vinegar to create a vegan buttermilk in a long shallow dish (like a baking dish). Set aside. Slice onions into about ½ inch thick circles. Place onions in the vegan buttermilk. Soak overnight for best results or at least 3-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450. Combine 1 cup of the buttermilk mixture with the almond meal to form a batter and mix well. Place into a bowl or shallow dish. Combine cornmeal, ground pepitas, and spices in a bowl or shallow dish and set aside.
- One by one, dip onion slices in batter mixture and coat well. Then coat with cornmeal/pepita mixture.
- Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, depending on thickness, then flip the onion rings and bake another 10-12minutes.
- Serve fresh and dip in Pistachio Buffalo Cream for an extra layer of goodness!
You can make this nut free by using another type of non dairy milk such as soy, rice or hemp milk. You can also use another flour such as oat flour to replace the almond meal. If you are avoiding corn, you can always use all ground pepitas, but you won’t get onion rings as crispy as those with cornmeal.
Tips to prep ahead
Grind the pepitas and make the crust topping the day before, at the same time you make the buttermilk and soak the onion slices. The day of all you will need to do is make the batter, dip, coat and bake.
Healing Lifestyles & Spas content focuses on integrating healing remedies, alternative medicine, natural living, spa wisdom, and nature into our lives, providing tools and inspiration to lead a more healthy and healing lifestyle. We all need to slow down, press pause, and nurture this absolute need to give back to ourselves. Remember to Live Mindfully, Eat Joyfully, Travel Consciously. Sign up and get your your daily dose of spa-living in an easy, bite-size tip, right in your inbox! We provide a wide range of experiences to enrich your mind, stretch your imagination, feed your psyche, move your body, and give you spa delights!