Recipe courtesy of She Knows
You may have heard of grilled watermelon, but have you ever heard of a watermelon grill? Surprise guests at your next barbecue with this watermelon centerpiece that’s functional and edible. Add some fruit kabobs, and you’ve got a grill that will thrill.
Ingredients? FRUIT! + Wooden Shish Kabob Sticks
Ingredients and supplies
- 1 round watermelon
- 3 celery stalks (soak in cold water in the refrigerator overnight to stiffen)
- Blackberries (for the “charcoal”)
- Assorted fruits for kabobs
- Small cucumber or zucchini
- Wooden skewers
- Cut holes in watermelon for grill legs. Make three holes, slightly smaller than the size of your celery stalk, in the bottom of the watermelon.
- Slice and hollow watermelon. Slice the watermelon. The bottom piece should be slightly larger than the top piece. Using a melon baller, hollow out the watermelon bowls. Save the melon balls for the fruit skewers.
- Create the grill grate. Insert wooden skewers into the top edge of the larger watermelon bowl, pushing them through the other side until they’re flush with the rind.
- Add charcoal. Remove one of the skewers and place blackberries in the bottom of the watermelon for the “charcoal.” Replace the skewer when done.
- Trim skewer ends for grill grate. Trim the wooden skewer ends with wire cutters or a pair of kitchen shears until they’re flush with the rind.
- Insert celery for grill legs. Insert three celery stalks into the holes on the bottom of the watermelon. You may need to widen the holes slightly, but you want them to be tight. For added stability, you can also insert wooden skewers for the “grill legs” and hide them with the celery stalks.
- Make fruit kabobs. Make fruit kabobs with small chucks of cantaloupe, strawberries, kiwis, blueberries, grapes, pineapple and watermelon balls.
- Put kabobs on the grill. Place the fruit kabobs on and around the watermelon grill.
- Make a grill lid. To make the grill “lid,” attach a small piece of cucumber or zucchini to the top of the smaller watermelon bowl with toothpicks. The lid can be propped on the side of the watermelon grill by inserting more toothpicks to secure it in place.
Healing Lifestyles & Spas content focuses on integrating healing remedies, alternative medicine, natural living, spa wisdom, and nature into our lives, providing tools and inspiration to lead a more healthy and healing lifestyle. We all need to slow down, press pause, and nurture this absolute need to give back to ourselves. Remember to Live Mindfully, Eat Joyfully, Travel Consciously. Sign up and get your your daily dose of spa-living in an easy, bite-size tip, right in your inbox! We provide a wide range of experiences to enrich your mind, stretch your imagination, feed your psyche, move your body, and give you spa delights!