Ok. So, we decided to grill up some veggies for our Sunday night family meal on the deck — partially because I had stumbled upon some interesting raw, vegan, organic coconut wraps . . . I’m gluten-free, and vegan, but my family is not, so I’m used to making slight alterations in whatever they eat if they aren’t interested in my version.
I thought I’d make some vegan tzatziki out of this great cashew sour cream I had just made. I have dill growing in the garden and happened to have an organic cucumber and garlic handy. I grabbed all kinds of herbs and lettuce from the garden to wrap with the tzatziki and grilled veggies and it was so outstanding, I decided to get creative and make this recipe here for lunch the next day. Could eat these things every freaking day!
Being gluten free means I don’t eat a lot of bread or wraps. Yes, there are some decent ones out there, but mostly, it just isn’t worth it . . . gotta try these Sunfood Coconut Wraps. Now I’m all about creative food wrapping! They are a great consistency and don’t taste like coconut. Seriously, if you are GF and want a good wrap, TRY IT! I’m always having fun looking for and creating a yummy and healthy gluten-free vegan recipe. Hope you enjoy these!
Delicious Vegan Tzatziki
CASHEW SOUR CREAM
- 1 1/2 cups organic raw cashews (soaked for 3 hours)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice – or juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of good salt
- 3 tablespoons of good clean water
- 1 1/2 cup cashew sour cream from above
- 1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cucumber, skinned and chopped finely
- 2 – 3 cloves raw garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- CASHEW SOUR CREAM
- Soak the cashews in some good clean water for about 3 hours to soften them and bring out their happy enzymes – they are more digestible this way.
- Blend everything up in the blender. Add water in small amounts if needed to make it smooth and creamy.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Combine all the ingredients well.
- Refrigerate until needed.
Crazy Tasty Gluten-Free Vegan Veggie Wraps
- Your favorite wrap (I'm currently enamored with the Sunfood Coconut Wrap)
- 1/4 cup onion, thinly sliced (vidalia or other great sweet onion)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons GD Meg's Tzatziki (or some other vegan version)
- 1 carrot shredded
- few leaves of fresh spinach
- (any other fresh veggies that float your boat!)
- salt & pepper or season to taste
- sautee the onions in the BBQ sauce till they caramelize
- schmear the tzatziki sauce in the middle of the wrap
- put the BBQ onions and all the other ingredients in layers
- roll it up like a lil burrito
Click here to listen to this awesome Green Diva podcast!
About The Author
The Green Divas share low-stress ways to live a deeper shade of green through a weekly radio show, podcasts, videos and blog posts. Working with talented partners and credible sources like myEARTH360 the Green Divas produce content on a variety of topics relating to a healthy green lifestyle. Visit The Green Divas website to learn more, and check out The Green Divas on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter too!