13 Delicious Vegan, Gluten-Free Holiday Desserts
For many of us, it just doesn’t feel like the holidays without cookies and sweets. But just because it’s the holidays doesn’t mean we have to abandon a healthy diet. Gorging on traditional baked sweets made with dairy and gluten can not only lead to an unwelcome tummy ache, it can also cause constipation, hormone imbalances and unnecessary weight gain. Instead, opting for vegan and dairy-free alternatives will satisfy your sweet tooth without busting your resolution to squeeze into your new yoga leggings. For inspiration, try one – or all – of our favorite vegan and gluten-free holiday dessert recipes.
1. No-Egg Eggnog. Toast the holidays and ring in the New Year with this creamy, no-dairy no-egg eggnog. After tasting Vegan Man’s recipe, you’ll never enjoy drinking the bought stuff again. Watch him make it here:
2. Chocolate Chip Cookies. Show Santa you really love him with this recipe for the fluffiest, moistest, most buttery-tasting-but-vegan chocolate chip cookies. Don’t believe it’s possible? Try them for yourself here:
3. Cranberry Muffins. Nothing warms the heart – and the belly – more than a basket of fresh, fluffy muffins. Try this melt in your mouth, gluten-free recipe.
4. Chocolate Mousse. If you consider yourself a a die-hard chocolate fiend, you’ll go ga-ga over Vegan Man’s thick, creamy and chocolate-y mousse recipe, made with a special superfood ingredient you won’t guess. Watch the recipe here.
5. Strawberry Cheesecake. Whether served by itself or topped with a sweet and tangy strawberry coulis, this scrumptious cashew-based raw vegan cheesecake recipe will make you wonder why you took so long to go vegan.
6. Vegan Thin Mint Cookies. Mix up the dessert table – and your palate – with a plate of these minty girl-scout inspired favorites.
7. Vanilla Chia Pudding. You’ll forget all about figgy pudding once you indulge in this superfood packed version of an old holiday treat, rich with heart-healthy antioxidant chia seeds.
8. Chocolate Truffles. Wow the foodies on your gift list with this decadent gourmet chocolate truffle recipe made with raw coconut butter and cacao. You can watch our resident raw vegan chef Michael make it fresh here.
9. Raspberry Fig Jam Cookies. Keep the holiday spirits going with these easy to make but delicious almond flour-base cookies. They’re made using an easy homemade raspberry fig jam with a shot of pomegranate molasses and maple syrup. What could be sweeter?
10. Matcha Dessert Bites. Energize your yuletide festivities with these sweet green tea dessert bites made with the perfect balance of raw cashews, coconut flakes and a healthy dose of Japanese matcha tea.
11. Chocolate Brownies. Show the special elves in your life how much you love them with these nutty, chewy brownies – serve them square and plain or roll then dip in raw cacao nibs or coconut flakes for an extra dose of flair. Watch the recipe here.
12. Gingerbread Bliss Balls. Surprise your foodie friends with a plate of traditional gingerbread morsels – with a raw vegan twist.
13. Creamy Pumpkin Pie. Stay close to home with this all-round holiday favorite made without eggs, milk, traditional flour or even baking!
Whether you decide to go home-y or gourmet, vegan or 100% raw, you’re sure to enjoy these healthy, compassionate sweet treats throughout the holidays and beyond.